Playoff Game 1

Home Up


February 4th, 2017              

Game #1

Kensington Valley Ice House - Brighton 1st 2nd 3rd Final
'05 Lapeer Storm 0 0 1    1 2
Kensington Valley Raiders 0 1 1 1 1 4
The '05 Lapeer Storm team took to the ice to begin their 2016-17 playoff season in a familiar location, but against a new foe. Today's opponent was the Kensington Valley Raiders. The two teams were very evenly matched, giving the Storm team a good chance at victory. Things were looking good through the first period, as both teams traded scoring chances but the defense and goaltending were up to the task.

The Raiders got on the scoreboard first, finding the back of the net less than two minutes into the second period. The Storm players tried their best to even things up, but they weren't able to sneak one past the Raiders goalie, who was playing really well. A breakaway midway through the second resulted in another goal, but not for the team we were hoping for. The Raiders goal gave them a 2-0 lead that held for the rest of the period.

The Storm team finally broke the ice 2:15 into the third, as a long shot by a defender found it's way through a crowd and into the back of the net, bringing them to within a goal. The momentum was short lived, however, as the Raiders scored again to restore the 2 goal lead 30 seconds later. Another Raider goal midway through the period, their fourth of the game, gave them a seemingly insurmountable 4-1 lead. The Storm team refused to give up, and they came within two goals a couple minutes later by scoring their second of the game. They pulled their goalie to give them a man advantage with almost five minutes of game time left, but they weren't able to capitalize with the extra player. When the final buzzer sounded, the Storm team suffered defeat in playoff game number one, by a 4-2 score.

While refereeing isn't an excuse, today's game was one of the worst refereed youth hockey games I have watched. The Kensington Valley team routinely put extra players (or not enough players) on the ice, and the referees refused to penalize them or drop the puck despite the Storm team being ready to go. This took place on nearly every faceoff, and for the first time all season the ice time ran out before the game clock did. Another example of the poor refereeing took place when a Storm player was down on his back on the ice with a Raiders player jumping on him and hitting him, resulting in the loss of a tooth. The Storm player wound up with a missing tooth, and the Storm team ended up short two players on the ice...


'05 Lapeer Storm LCAHA Playoffs Game 1 - at Kensington Valley Raiders

Drew and his Lapeer Storm teammates coming on the ice before the start of the game.

Drew on the ice, playing defense, for the opening faceoff.

Drew playing the puck along the boards.

Drew keeping the puck in the zone.

Drew clearing the puck from the zone.

Drew skating down the ice.

Drew lined up at his defensive position during another faceoff.

Drew knocking the puck away from a Raiders player.

Drew pinching in along the wall in the offensive zone.

Drew firing a shot from his defensive position...

...and watching the puck as it heads towards the goal.

Drew firing another shot on goal.

Drew taking a pass...

...and gathering on his stick...

...and settling it down...

...before winding up...

...and sending the puck on goal.

Drew deflecting a Raiders shot by getting in the shooting lane.

Drew gathering the puck in...

...and sending it down the ice to a teammate.

Drew battling for the puck against two Raiders players...

...and knocking it away.

Drew on the ice for a late game faceoff.

The final score, despite still having time on the clock, was 4-2 in favor of the home team.

Drew shaking the Raiders coach's hands after going through the handshake line.


[Home] [Up] [Current Events] [Past Events] [Tyler] [Samantha] [Drew] [Jayden] [Studio Photos] [Wallpapers] [Blog] [Update List]


Copyright 1999-2018 by All Rights Reserved.
No portion of this site may be redistributed in any form via any medium.